Monday, September 11, 2017

DIY: Yoga Mat Holder


A major part of improving my room while redecorating was making it functional. So much of my space was cluttered, and it was difficult for me to get to things, even those I used on a regular basis. This yoga mat holder (another idea I found scouring Pinterest) is actually a really simple build and gets your workout gear set up and off the floor. See how below:

Like the ladder DIY I'd also recommend some gloves to prevent splinters when working with the wood. Using a bike rack or a tool hook may seem weird, but it was the best option for holding a yoga block and the 'garage organization' section of the hardware store had a lot of options for attachments to repurpose. 


First, measure out and cut the back of the holder. My dad and I added about 3 inches above my yoga mat at the top and a couple inches at the bottom as well for the block holder. For a reference I own a  LuluLemon 5mm reversible mat. 


Next, cut the ledge piece where your mat will rest on. Here I measured it about 2 inches over how wide my mat is when it's rolled up for some room for error when I put the mat away. 


Next, we set up where the ledge would go and marked where the screws would go for the braces. We used 2 inch braces because my mat is pretty heavy compared to most gym mats. 


Now screw in the braces starting with the ledge, then attaching it to the back piece. 


Now we can attach the towel ring. Here you need to make sure the ring will be about 2 inches lower than the top of the mat so it has a good hold and the mat doesn't tip over. We put on the towel ring to make sure the measurements were correct then removed it to sand down any rough edges and paint. After everything dried I reattached it. 


Next I attached the mount for my yoga block with screws making sure to line it up on the board so that there's enough space for it to fit it under the ledge. 


I then attached a tool holder hook to the side to hold my strap. You just need to screw these in by hand, but you might need another person to hold it still to create some pressure. 

Now your holder is all set to mount on your wall as you choose. I couldn't be happier with this cute little thing. It's a great help in getting everything more organized without looking out of place. 




1 comment:

  1. I am hoping the same best effort from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing skills has inspired me. VibrantYogini

    ReplyDelete