Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Bedroom Redecoration: Makeup Storage Before and After



I feel like there should be a huge magician-esque 'Ta-Da" because the before on this section is pretty awful. Looking back at how I used to decorate and work around this space makes me feel so happy with how I've rearranged things. It suits my style and is a much more functional space. 

Before redecorating this side wall was a bit of a catch all. I had my stacks of magazines, a box of nail polish, another of random crafts and ribbons, extra toiletries on top of the magazines and I would frequently attract random bags of stuff. It was the junk draw side of my room. 

My main goals with this section were to declutter and put all of my 'getting ready' things in the same place. It made a lot more sense to condense down to one dresser and have it right next to my closet. After that it was all about creating a place for everything else. 


Easily the biggest project for this section was the dresser. I decided to paint it this bluish gray to add a new color into the room that wasn't very bold. The old handles were a little too childish so I switched them to these glass ones in different colors to make it a bit fun. With the mold of the top drawer it was easier to have handles rather than four more knobs. 


One of the nicest perks of this new set up is my makeup and daily toiletries are all in one place. I took this photo shelf, flipped it upside down and attached it to the wall with some large braces. I popped some organizers and cups inside and now getting ready is a much nicer affair. 

I wanted to keep the top of the dresser pretty clear to avoid another clutter monster, but it was the best place to hold some jewelry. I used a little stationery box, painted purple, and put my bracelets in there. I really like this earring stand from Domino. It can hold both studs and dangling earrings and looks more sleek than other organizers. I've had my skull for years and it holds my glasses and my rings. 

For my necklaces I went on to the side of the dresser and inserted some little cup hooks. It was super simple and a little more tucked away rather than a traditional tree or wall hanging organizer. 


I was at a bit of loss for what to do for a full length mirror. I toyed around with the idea of DIY-ing a frame for my old one or getting one with built-in storage, but that all went out the window when I saw this in TJ-Maxx. It's such a weird shape but worked well for tucking it into this corner and the tilt is great for outfit photos. 

Tucked behind the mirror I have a basket of my hot tools and a small set of drawers that hold all my extra skincare and hair products. I made it a little easier to move around the mirror with some felt pieces stuck to the bottom. 


So what do you think? About half my room is completely finished and it's kind of blowing my mind that I'm almost done. Next up you'll see my bookcase wall (you can spy a quick peek in some of these photos) and I think that one will be really special. 

No comments:

Post a Comment