Monday, September 8, 2014

Make Your Life Extraordinary


You may have heard about Made with Code by Google before. Made with Code is a program that encourages girls to explore technology. With events, videos, and projects everyone can do on their website, they hope to inspire young girls to take an interest in code. Google's team states their objective very clearly on their website, "We started Made with Code because even though increasingly more aspects in our lives are powered with technology, women are not represented in the companies, labs, research, creative arts, design, organizations and boardrooms that make technology happen." 

My friend told me about the bracelet project they have on their site and I definitely wanted to make one. You get to choose the words and color you want and then they have the bracelet made with a 3D Printer. (Yes a 3D printer!! Those things are so cool). Another perk is it is free, it just takes a few weeks to get to you. I choose to have mine say "Carpe Diem" because it has been a phrase that has stuck with me for a few years now. When it's applied effectively it is a great motivator to get things done (and I mean all of it, the tedious, the boring and all the shit you don't want to do). I got it in white because it is such a versatile color and I want to wear this thing all of the time.  Other projects on the site include making an avatar, gif, or tune. 

I was never particularly interested in any form of computer science. Don't get me wrong, I love my computer but I'm more drawn to the creative platform it provides rather than the actual workings of it. But that's just me. Many other girls are interested and I'm glad Google has given them a place to explore and be creative. The problem does not lie with the lack of girls interested in CS, but their dismissal. I hope Made with Code gives girls who want to do this as a career the confidence to establish their position in this male dominated business and not be discouraged when they are met with unnecessary obstacles.

Below is a commercial to keep the positivity and support for girls flowing. The commercial is from Verizon that also deals with encouraging girls to explore "masculine" topics that could lead them to a career in the science and technology fields. Whatever your feelings are about how well the commercial was made or whether it was flawed or not don't really matter because the numbers still stand. Girls are being discouraged to take part in these fields even if they have a genuine interest. That's what we need to focus on and fix. 

Fight the good fight. 
Jasmine 

No comments:

Post a Comment