Thursday, June 8, 2017

Fish's Favorites: Spring 2017


This spring has been such a rollercoaster that I rescind all the other times I called my life a roller coaster, because I never truly knew what that meant until now.  I had surgery, graduated college, took what felt like a million trips from the city to home and back and moved out. All to say, even the misery of post-graduation cluelessness is a pleasant break from all the chaos. I'm hoping for a much calmer summer and while we wait for good weather, here's everything I loved in the chaotic quarter of spring: 

Black Tap outfit post, Inked II, and DIY outfit post

Wearing: This season has been all about Madewell. They've really hit a sweet spot between trendy and classic, with tons of pieces I could wear for years to come. Everything I've gotten recently has also been great quality, holding up to lots of wear and washes. I hope they keep it up. I've also been wearing my green J. Crew jacket often. Every spring it pops back into my wardrobe, though I may want to get a new lightweight jacket for some variety. 


Listening: For the first half of spring it was all about Leon Bridges. I fell in love with his song River, and listened to it on repeat for days. He has this lovely old school soul and blues mood, which is a great contrast to all the pop and electronic music I listen to. 

The second half belonged to Miike Snow. I rediscovered the song Genghis Khan and had to dive into all of their songs. They have lively beats with extremely interesting music videos I can't stop watching. I think they'll be a staple from now on. 


Applying: On the skincare front I bought the much hyped Bioderma micellar water for makeup remover and the hype is so real. It's super gentle, my eyes have no reaction to it at all, and this bottle is looking like it'll last me forever (or at least a couple more months.) I've also fallen under the spell of the Pixi beauty sleep cream. I've really thought about it since my cruelty-free post, and it has helped keep my skin calm and get my skin to take in some more moisture. It's much needed in skin freak-out moments. 

As for makeup, I've been surprised by the Milani eyeshadow primer. I was convinced there wasn't a drugstore primer that would perform as well as the Nars one, but I have been pleasantly proven wrong. I've also completely switched up my eyebrow routine with this Stila marker. It creates a much softer brow, but gives me the precision to create an exact tail. 



Reading: I don't usually talk about books in my favorites, but this series has taken over my life. Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan follows Rachel as she discovers the affluent, extravagant, and insane society her boyfriend's family belongs to. As for plot I'll say no more, but it is an incredibly good read. It's well researched, funny, and keeps you captivated in the drama from start to finish. I haven't been glued to a book series this much since Harry Potter. 


Watching: It was hard to narrow this section down (it could seriously be a whole series of blog posts) but I decided on 3 great ensemble shows that are worth a watch. First off, Golden Girls is truly a classic, and if you're into TV comedies it's a bit of a tragedy if you've never seen it. Four grandmas being sassy, dirty, and heartfelt is just what the soul needs; anytime, anywhere (also it has a great theme song to sing along to.) 

It really hurts my heart that it's been canceled, but I will never stop recommending The Get Down. I've always loved Baz Luhrmann films, but this has so many other elements that make it incredible. The acting is great and the recounting of hip-hop's early days is interesting and makes for some great music throughout the series. It also gets creative with forms of storytelling and there are great nods to how nerd culture influenced hip-hop. 

Lastly, we have BroadChurch. If you follow my Twitter, you may have seen me having the greatest stress of my life watching this series. It's a crime drama set in a small English town, and it really grips you into caring about everyone and desperately wanting justice for this family. Make sure to pick up a stress ball before hitting play though (do they still make those?) .

What's been your obsession lately? 

No comments:

Post a Comment